Patients Infusing video
XEMBIFY Self-Administration Video
Experience the freedom and flexibility of administering your own infusions with a routine that's convenient for you. Watch this instructional video designed to help you learn about XEMBIFY self-infusion so you can feel comfortable and prepared for therapy.
You can also follow the step-by-step instructions on how to infuse below.
Patients Infusing Before
Before the infusion
Before you start your infusion, take the vial of XEMBIFY out of the fridge and allow the vial to reach room temperature. This may take 60 minutes or longer. DO NOT apply heat to the vial(s) or place in the microwave, instead, let the vial(s) warm to room temperature naturally.
patients infusing 1
1. Disinfect surface to be used for your infusion. Allow the vial(s) of XEMBIFY to reach room temperature. Set up all of the supplies you will need. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly.
patients infusing 1b
2. Check the vial of XEMBIFY. Confirm the name and expiration date. If the product is past the expiration date, if the liquid is cloudy or has particles, or if the vial shows any sign of tampering, do not use that vial. Contact your specialty pharmacy for guidance in that case.
3. Remove the tamper-resistant seal and protective cap from the vial of XEMBIFY. Clean the rubber stopper with a disinfecting wipe and allow to air dry.
4. Draw XEMBIFY into the syringe using either a needle or a transfer device. If you are using a needle, refer to Step 5. If using a transfer device, refer to Step 6.
5. Attach the needle to the syringe tip and remove the cap. Pull the syringe plunger back to the level of XEMBIFY you want to withdraw. Place the vial on a flat surface, insert the needle and inject air. Turn the vial and syringe upside down. Make sure the needle is placed below the fluid level and withdraw XEMBIFY.
6. Uncap the transfer device and attach it to the syringe. Place the vial on a flat surface and insert the device into the top of the vial. Turn the vial and syringe upside down and withdraw the desired amount of XEMBIFY. Then, remove the syringe and transfer device.
7. Follow the pump manufacturer's instructions to attach the infusion tubing and needle set to the syringe. Be sure to prime the administration tubing by filling it with XEMBIFY. Make sure the needle remains dry while priming.
8. XEMBIFY is infused in the abdomen, thigh, upper arm, sides, back or hip. Select one or more infusion sites as directed by your healthcare provider. Be sure to choose sites that are different from your last infusion.
9. Prepare the infusion site(s) by cleaning with an alcohol wipe. The sites should be clean, dry, at least 2 inches apart, and 2 inches away from the belly button. Do not use more than 6 infusion sites at the same time.
10. Grasp the skin between 2 fingers and insert the needle into the subcutaneous tissue, which is the innermost layer of your skin. Secure needle with adhesive dressing. Repeat for other sites as needed.
11. After securing the needle, make sure a blood vessel has not been entered. If you see blood when pulling back on the plunger, remove and discard the needle and tubing. Repeat steps 8-10 using a new needle, administration tubing, and a new infusion site.
12. Follow the pump manufacturer's instructions to load the syringe and start the infusion. The infusion is complete when the syringe is empty.
Patients Infusion After
After the infusion
- Wash your hands again.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to turn off the pump.
- Undo and discard any dressing or tape.
- Gently remove inserted needle(s).
- Discard used needles and tubing in a sharps container.
- Store your supplies in a safe place.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to care for the infusion pump.
Patient Infusing Record
Record the infusion
Record each infusion in your Infusion Log Book, by removing the peel-off labels with the product lot number(s) and expiration date(s) from the XEMBIFY vial(s) and sticking these into your Infusion Log Book.
Learn more about the Infusion Log Book and other resources so you can make every infusion of XEMBIFY as convenient and comfortable as possible.
Patients Infusing Be sure
Be sure to record each infusion of XEMBIFY and remember to share your log book with your healthcare professional at every visit.